Covid 19 Level 3 lockdown now in place in Auckland and North West Waikato. Need support? Call us 0508 462 427


What can I use my funding for?

We suggest you refer to the Ministry of Health’s funding guidelines. There are four main criteria for use of your disability support funding:
1. Helps people live their life or makes their life better
2. Is a disability support
3. Is reasonable and cost-effective
4. Isn't subject to a limit or exclusion So, you can use your funding to cover the cost of your support (hours of work or services provided by a support person or support provider).

You can also use your funding to cover costs that your support worker incurs while providing support to you.
Example 1 If your support person drives you to an activity such as swimming in their own car, you can claim any entry fees for your support person and mileage for the trip. You cannot claim any entry fees for yourself or mileage if you use your own car.
Example 2 If you need a computer, cell phone or tablet to help you manage your funding, you can use your funding to pay for this with some restrictions.
Example 3 You would like your staff to do some training, for example, an NZQA qualification. You can use your funding to pay for this.

What can't my funding be used for?

You cannot use your funding to buy services or utilities that a person would reasonably be expected to pay for if they did not require Home and Community Support Services, such as:
• bills, such as power, gas, telephone and internet costs (unless internet costs have been specifically approved)
• general household fittings, furniture and whiteware, standard electrical goods and consumer products
• food, groceries and other common household goods (unless this is for the support worker to use)
• mortgage payments or rent
• general vehicle purchases, modifications or maintenance
• house, contents, life, or other insurance
• travel costs such as fuel, plane, train, bus or taxi fares (unless this is for the support person)
• paying off personal debts
• donations to charitable or church organisations
• professional services unrelated to the Home and Community Support Services or the management of the individualised funding arrangements
• complementary therapies and non-government funded or subsidised health treatment

There are always exceptions and our Customer Experience Centre team are here to help and offer their experience and advice on a case by case basis. In addition, Individualised Funding also cannot be used to:
• increase the personal income of the person or their household
• purchase personal advocacy services
• purchase anything that is illegal; and/or
• purchase goods or services that are the responsibility of other government agencies or publicly funded organisations such as GP visits, therapies, Behaviour Support and Child Development services

Who is an IF Manager?

IF Manager refers to the person who chooses to manage some or all of their disability supports through Individualised Funding. Manawanui might use the term customer or IF Manager, or client – they are all the same thing.

Who is an Agent?

An Agent is someone who assists a person receiving funding to manage their funding and associated supports, usually because the IF manager is unable to do so themselves. In this instance, the term Agent has no special legal status. This is generally an unpaid role, though there are exceptions in some special circumstances.

What does an Agent do?

The role of an Agent may include, but is not limited to:
• Recruiting staff
• Managing staff
• Managing a budget
• Submitting funding claims and/or employee time sheets

How does It work when an Agent is involved?

When an IF Manager uses an Agent to manage their supports, Manawanui enters into a service agreement with the Agent to ensure services and supports are in place and working for the client. The Agent submits timesheets and/or expense claims on behalf of the IF Manager.

Who can act as an Agent?

Anyone who can manage the responsibilities of being an employer, manage budgets and will prioritise the IF Manager’s quality of life and best interests can become an Agent. This is usually a family or whanau member, but can also be a friend or acquaintance.